Yes. You must register for the German payroll regardless of the length of time you are flying from and to Germany. Unless you have a valid A1 from another European country, of course. 

Having said that however, we will consider this case by case. There is no black and white. For example, if there are 2 or more base movements before you get temporarily based in Germany and you already know your permanent base is not going to be Germany and have the permanent base letter already in your hands, it usually goes back to your country of residency (if you are a German citizen then you should register and pay in Germany). We will therefore advise you to apply for an A1 from your country of residency and deduct the German social insurance temporarily but not register you on the German payroll. We will then be able to give you a refund of the German social insurance withheld if your A1 application is successful.