All contractors working in the UK, whether line training or permanently based, must apply for a National Insurance number as soon as they arrive in the UK.

INDIVIDUALS RESIDENT OR PRESENT in Great Britain and over 16, who are employed or self-employed who are not already in possession of a UK National Insurance Number, are required by law to make an application for one. The purpose of a National Insurance Number is to act as a unique reference number linking an individual and their Social Insurance Contributions record and as a reference number for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for Social Security benefits and HMRC for Tax Credits.

It provides a permanent numerical link showing an individuals contribution record which determines entitlement to contributory benefits such as health care and state pension.

Whether you are Line Training or have a permanent base - whilst in the UK, it is classed as your Home Base. 

Under EU regulation 883/2004 Article 11.5 – you are required to pay social insurance in the country of your home base, i.e. UK.   

It is also a compliance requirement of your agency contract and compliance reports are sent monthly to your agency.

To apply for a national insurance number, please visit the following links:

If you have an address in the UK : CLICK HERE

If you do not have an address in the UK (i.e. you are staying in hotels or serviced accommodation during your working days here): CLICK HERE