You can still apply for a social security number from a hotel/Airbnb but you will need a confirmation letter from your hotel/host as well as:

  1. Registration form, called Meldeschein or Anmeldung form, available ONLY in German at your local Bürgeramt.
  2. Valid passport (non-EU citizens) or ID card (EU/EEA citizens).
  3. Visa if required for entry into Germany.

After you bring those documents to your local Burgeramt and your address gets registered, you can apply for a social security                   number following the below steps:

  1. Make an appointment at your local German pension office (Rentenversicherung). As most of their website in German, it would be best to call their English hotline for assistance: 0800 1000 480 70. The hotline is free of charge, if you call from a German landline phone number.
  2. Go to the German pension office (Rentenversicherung) together with your passport and visa (if you have one).
  3. The German pension office will be able to issue your social security card on the spot.

Disclaimer: You need to apply by yourself only if you have private health insurance. If you choose a public health insurance provider, they will apply on your behalf.

Disclaimer: If you work in Germany but are resident in a neighbor country (Eg. The Netherlands), you still need applying for a social security number. If you are applying for a compulsory halth insurance with our insuracne broker, the health insurance will provide a social insurance number to you. If you are applying for a private health insurance, instead, you need to contact the local authority and ask for a social insurance number and specify that you commute to work in Germany.