What is an AFM Number?
AFM (Αριθμού Φορολογικού Μητρώου - Α.Φ.Μ.) is an identification number relating to the Greek tax authorities.
The greek nationals or foreigners who are required to have an AFM number are those who:
- are 18 years old or older
- wish to open a bank account
- are about to start doing bussiness
- are about to get hired from an employer
- own assets such as vehicles, land, houses etc.
- want to obtain for a Greek driving lisence
- are shareholders in any type of a Greek business.
Every Greek or foreign individual who resides in Greece has the right to obtain an AFM number.
Where can AFM be obtained?
The competent institutions which are responsible for the AFM assigning are called "Δημόσια Οικονομική Υπηρεσία - Δ.Ο.Υ." They are also known as "eforia". Every individual must go to the competent institution (Δ.Ο.Υ.) which is located closer to their Greek home address. Therefore, they need to have a proof of address with themselves. However, these institutions are eligible so an individual can go to whichever "Δ.Ο.Υ." to do the initial registration and then complete the registration online. The location of every institution can be easily found by typing "DOY or Δ.Ο.Υ." on Google Maps.
What documents are required?
1. Greek Nationals: Greek ID or Passport
2. Foreigners: Passport
3. Proof of Address (such as contract, utility bill, bank statement) is advised
Important! Please have a copy of your passport because the officers of Greek tax authorities will not photocopy it for you. They do not provide this service.
In the case that a person does not have an ID or passport (i.e. children), birth certificate must be provided.
Other documents that required
The following documents must be filled and must be given when someone is applying for an AFM number
- Document "M1" which can be found on the following link http://www.gsis.gr/gsis/export/sites/default/gsis_site/Services/Polites/documents_e_entipa_2/M1.pdf
A practical guide of how to fill the "M1" form can be found on the following pdf. M1 Guide.pdf
If the application is not made in person, the authorised person must bring a declaration authorising them to apply for the AFM on their behalf. This declaration is called "υπευθυνη δηλωση" and can be obtained from every KEP (Citizens Service Office). See how to find a KEP in the "How to obtain an AMKA number" section.